Tuesday 7 June 2011

Needlework Tuesday - The Challenge Unveiled

Welcome to the latest edition of Needlework Tuesday.  I encourage all my readers who have worked on a needlework project in the past week, or those who are needing a bit of encouragement to join me with a post.  Be sure to leave a comment with a link to your post and I'll add you to this group of happy stitchers.

Last week, I left you partway through my challenge for my local quilt guild.  To learn more about the challenge, check this post from last week.

Work continued at a rather frenzied pace, building to a climax on Sunday afternoon.  Remember, I needed this finished for Monday evening.

Next step was to fill in the gaps left around the edges.  My son suggested using black both for those triangles and for the large corner setting triangles.
 I still needed to fit in the fifth block.  There were very few rules for this challenge, but using five blocks was a major one.  Now, those rules didn't specify that the blocks needed to be 'complete' blocks.

On the paper pattern I drew two lines corner to corner, dividing the block into four new triangles.
This next photo shows how the block would look as designed, and the third photo shows it's new appearance when I 'blew it out of the box'.
 Now they sort of look like a bunch of geese in flight.  Next, to add a few more like size triangles to these, only in the earlier mentioned black....

This piece currently measures about 28 1/2 inches across.  It definitely needs at least one border if not two.  I am thinking of searching for a fabric that has all three colours, though that might be tough unless I want to use Sponge Bob fabric. I would appreciate any suggestions for the border.


I promised that I would show photos of the projects made by the other members of my guild.  They are mostly a very traditional guild that seems to resist change.  They do wonderful work, but it does tend to be 'safe', nothing 'out of the box'.

I don't know who did each piece as we remained anonymous for the viewer's choice voting.
 I did talk with Elsie who pieced this one.  The five blocks are set in the centre, and she has so far surrounded it with three fancy pieced borders.  She plans to add at least one more pieced border and then a wide print fabric one.  This quilt won 1st prize.
Table runners were the obvious choice.  That would never work for me as it would require me to move all the books and stacks of fabric from my coffee table so I could put the runner on it.

The use of the mauve with the yellow and green is very striking.  That runner won 3rd place.  Oh, did I forget to tell you that my quilt won 2nd prize.  Yippee.
Thanks for joining me for Needlework Tuesday and my mini challenge show. 

Did you make progress on your needlework project this week, do you need some encouragement, leave a comment with a link to your post and I'll share it here with all my readers.

I was just over visiting Lady Penguin at her Knitting Knotebook blog, and she has finished the coolest cuffs.  They are from a pattern 'Antique Alice in Wonderland Spats'.

7 comments:

Lady Penguin said...

Beautiful work. I admire your dedication. I lack the patience to quilt.

Marysol said...

Oh, to have the skills, talent and patience to create such beautiful works of art!

Grandma Coco said...

Congratulations on winning 2nd prize!! It's a lovely quilt.

Anonymous said...

well done on coming second ,lovely work a true work of art ,all the best stu

Miri said...

I just love what you've done with this block! Fantastic!

Marie said...

It turned out wonderful. Great job! Congratulations on your 2nd place win. Awesome.

Gayle Bong said...

I don't know how I'd add borders to the black and yellow, but I LOVE it so far.