Wednesday 1 June 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

This is the first in  a series of stories that revolve around lawyer Michael (Mickey) Haller.  Mickey lives and works in Los Angeles, though his doesn't have a traditional office, he works out of his Lincoln Town Car.  For a driver, he employs a past client who still owes him for his legal help.  His life changes the day he gets a lead on a new client, Louis Ross Roulet.  This is one who can easily pay the full bill.  That's what matters to Mickey, the bill getting paid not whether his client is guilty or not.

As he starts to examine the evidence in this case, Mickey comes to realize that this could be the one type of client that he has always feared, an innocent one.  Loved the self debate that Mickey has on whether to use all evidence and wind up this case quickly for his seemingly innocent client, or to stretch it out and milk it for every penny.

I wanted to see the movie version of this book, but was determined to read the book first.  My library happened to have an audio version and I downloaded it right away.  Great choice.  Sam Grupper is the reader for this book and he really does bring it to life.  Within minutes of starting, I didn't want to stop, I also knew at that moment that there was no one else that could play the roll of Michael Haller than Matthew McConaughey was the perfect choice.  After finishing all 11 hours and 36 minutes of the audio, I still feel that this is a must read/listen to book.  One that you should book time off to read and not be interrupted.  I can't wait to read more about the legal exploits of Mickey Haller.

Thanks to Hachette Audio for the cover image.  Visit Hachette to listen to a excerpt.

2 comments:

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

I've been wanting to read this since I started seeing the reviews. I'll have to add it to my summer reading list.

Anonymous said...

An innocent client? Hm, you have made me curious, but I am not really sure it is one for me.