Tuesday 31 May 2011

Needlework Tuesday - The Challenge Deepens

Welcome to Needlework Tuesday. I invite my stitching friends and new friends to join me in sharing and encouraging each other in our endeavours.  Leave a comment with a link to your post and I'll add you to our happy group.

It was just last week that I told you about the challenge that was issued by my local Quilt Guild president.  If you missed that post, click this link for the details and block choices.

When I left you last week, I was off to search my fabrics and see what I could find in the black/white/ yellow range.  First is the lovely piece of mottled black that I originally purchased as sashing for quilt for my son.  Oh, black isn't all that difficult to replace.  Mother bought me this black and yellow check when a shop went out of business. I knew it would come in helpful.  It will be the backing as I'm not sure whether it's poly or not.  Have to do the flame test.

Great assortment of blacks to choose from.
Not too bad on the yellows either.  The strip across the bottom is the challenge fabric that I must include, though it wasn't specified how much of it needed to be used.
I selected the 'Geese in the Air' block as it gave me more design options.

Before I could start sewing I first had to re-install Electric Quilt EQ5 and then install the EQ6 upgrade.  Haven't got around to purchasing the EQ7 upgrade as I haven't even used these ones in the past two years.

Showing in this photo is the block minus some half square triangles.
This final photo shows four of the blocks set together.  Do you recall that I was going to ignore the block boundaries and treat it as one large block.  I like it much better this way.  Still have to work in the fifth block as required in the challenge.  No one said that it had to be a complete block....

Monday the 6th of June is the due date for this top.  I hope to have  lots of photos of the other entries next Tuesday.

Have you made a black/white/yellow quilt?   If you have posted it on your blog, send me the link, otherwise, send me a jpeg and I'll post it with the others next week. 

I'd better get back to the fun.

What's everyone else up to?

Lit and Laundry joins in with a cross stitch inspired by Jane Austen.  Hope I got that right, it's been a while since I read those books.

4 comments:

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

Love it, love it, love it. I can't wait for the final photos. I would love a quilt just like this. I love these colors together. Thanks for sharing.

Threeundertwo said...

Great fabrics! I have a pitiful collection of blacks. I'm joining in today. http://litandlaundry.blogspot.com/2011/05/needlework-tuesday-pemberley.html

Linda said...

Your block is awesome Heather! Love yellow with black and white. I have not tried this colour combo yet but will put it on my list.

Marie said...

That colour combination is stunning. Really. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous!