Saturday 14 May 2011

Recipe Thursday - I don't know what to call it, but my family loved it.

Some days I just have to wing it with it comes to dinner.  Yesterday was one of those.  I knew I had a pound of extra lean ground meat, now what would go with that.  Before I started searching, I put the three sweet potatoes in the microwave to cook.

I found:
2 small onions
3 cloves garlic
2 stalks of celery
a bunch of brown mushrooms
1 jalapeno
1 thin green pepper hot
1 similar large green pepper sweet (Anaheim?)
1/2 a container of grape tomatoes

Sorry the colour on this photo is kinda of odd.

I started by putting the beef in the frying pan.  While it cooked, I diced the onions and added them  Next were the garlic cloves.  Yummy, don't go for that garlic powder as it pales in comparison and fresh garlic is so darn good for you.
Dice the celery and add it in.
Next I diced the peppers, I started with the hottest and worked to the sweet one.  Wish I had a red pepper, love the taste of them.  I don't bother with gloves while doing the hot peppers, but I have to work hard to remember to not rub my eyes or stick my fingers in my mouth.

Remember to keep stirring and chopping at the chunks of beef.

When the beef is no longer pink, time to add the mushrooms, which I like cut in chunks instead of slices.  Then I added about 1 1/2 tbsp of homemade taco seasoning (recipe follows).  This way I can control the amount of salt.  Now add the tomatoes.  I slice these in half lengthwise so that they will start to lose their moisture.  At this point I put the lid on, you don't want it drying out.

I then scooped the flesh from the sweet potatoes and mashed it with about 1 tbsp of butter.
There was barely enough left for my lunch today.  Even the dog had his share.
Taco Seasoning Mix

1 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
4 tsp crushed red pepper(chilis)
1 tbsp dried oregano
4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

Use 1 tbsp or more per pound of beef.  I can't recall where I got this recipe, but have had it for over 10 years.  store the mixture in a jar with a tight lid and it lasts well.  I have also used it to mix in with sour cream for a spicy dip.


For more cooking and foodie fun, be sure to visit "Weekend Cooking" which is hosted by Beth Fish Reads

9 comments:

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

I think you can just call it yummy. I love the winging it recipes that really work.

Uniflame said...

I love sweet potato mash :) And it is great when you can just toss your leftovers together and it comes out great!

TheBookGirl said...

I think that's the mark of a really good cook -- the ability to throw together what's lying around, and make something that tastes great.

My dog loves sweet potatoes, so he would've dived right in!

Margot said...

I like this kind of kitchen adventure. It's fun to use our creativity and I consider it a bonus if it turns out delicious. Fun post.

Beth F said...

Oh yum. I have many days like yours -- must try to figure out what to make from what I have in the house. I love your creative dinner. And sweet potatoes any way are a favorite of mine.

caite said...

to get respect for it, I think you have to come up with a clever name for it!

Rikki said...

This sounds lovely. I will definitely try out making the taco seasoning.

JoAnn said...

"Creative dinners" are such fun! Your adventure was a definite success.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

I usually call that a pantry dinner but it looks so much better than that! I love everything that's in there!