Tuesday 3 May 2011

Needlework Tuesday - More Quilt Planning

A bit more inspired to work at the Scribbling Women quilt.  I received a response from author R. J. Anderson and she sent me a few quotes that I could use on the quilt.  It took a fair amount of deliberation and imagining how the conversation might go around the frame and I finally selected one to feature.  I added a bit of clip art and printed it in colour on fabric.  Still have to trim it and add a fabric border.  Will show it next week.
My daughter was lucky to introduce Rebecca at the Eden Mills Writers Festival in September 2010.  Yes, daughter is wearing lovely green fairy wings for one of the character's in the novel.

As I was listening to  the album One Stitch at a Time by Cathy Miller, I realized that the song "Time Flies" was a perfect compliment to the theme of this quilt.  I sent Cathy a few emails in which I explained about the project and she graciously gave permission for me to include the lyrics of "Time Flies" on the front of the quilt. 

This song tells the story of three quilts that were pieced by women interred by the Japanese in Changi Prison in Singapore in 1942.  The women were not allowed to send letters or to speak with their husbands or male family members that were being held in the mens' prison.  They decided to send their messages via images and signatures on the quilts.

The Australia War Memorial site has further details and images of the quilts as does the British Red Cross.

I have been fortunate to listen to Cathy perform at two venues and totally enjoyed her quilts as well as her songs.  Hope that you enjoy this video of her "100 Ways to Hide Your Stash".




Before I get back to my stitching I want to invite you to join me each week for Needlework Tuesday.  I find it's a great way to share my projects as well as find support and encouragement when I find myself or my stitching falling to the side.

Tami at Just One More Thing...  has been trying to get into knitting  and is looking for suggestions about tension.

Marie at Daisy's Book Journal usually joins with a Needlework post.  This week she continues to monitor the flooding in her neighbourhood and the water is creeping ever closer to her house.  Please visit her blog and leave her a message of encouragement.

Sherrie at Just Books is joining us for the first time this week.  You have to see the doily she is making.  Wow, love that colour you have chosen.

5 comments:

Margot said...

I just came from Tami's blog and wanted to say: very good advice. I stopped to say the same thing you said and all I needed to do was say ditto. I like your Tuesday Needlework posts. Love the video. I saw something similar to that at a Eleanor Burns show in Paducah, Kentucky a few years back. Hilarious, but some what true.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love the video! I had a stash but it wasn't that bad. I'm joining in for your Needle Work Tuesday. I'm working on a doily. Can't wait to see your quilt. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Rikki said...

Interesting story about the three quilts.
Again I was too busy (i.e. lazy) to do any needlework, so nothing to report...:(

Barb said...

That video is just too funny!!

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
You've been tagged, your it. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books