Sunday 22 May 2011

Rough Magic by Caryl Cude Mullin

Love, power and revenge form the basis of the various relationships in this story.  The love of a parent for a child, the quest for the ultimate power over all, and the revenge for perceived wrongs.  Caught up in all of this from the moment he was conceived is Caliban.  Son of a great sorceress, who herself succumbed to her endless quest for power.

After the death of his mother, Caliban grows to adulthood isolated on the remote island on which he was born.  He lives there un-eventfully for about ten years when the unlikely happens.  Two others are purposefully stranded there.  During the next ten years, Caliban learns much from Prospero and his daughter Miranda. 

This story is inspired by the Shakespeare play The Tempest which I have not read nor am I familiar with the plot.  This book sat on my shelf for the longest time.  I would pick it up and read the back cover and stop when it said that it was inspired by a book I hadn't read, and I would put it back on my shelf.  Finally, I decided this was ridiculous and I started reading.  I was worried for nothing.  This story is understandable and enjoyable without knowing any back story.  I quickly grew to enjoy Caliban and even looked forward to reading time so I could find out more about him.  Later in the story when we are introduced to Chiara, Miranda's daughter, I couldn't wait to see how Caliban and Chiara developed their parent/child or teacher/student relationship.  Now that I have finished this story, I do want to read The Tempest and compare how these stories are alike and where they diverge.

For online text of The Tempest, visit The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

Thanks to Second Story Press for the cover photo and my review copy.

2 comments:

Diann said...

That does sound like a good book!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Funny how it sometimes takes us an age to actually decide to read a book - I'm glad you enjoyed this one.