Saturday 28 May 2011

Weekend Cooking: Hummus Variations

For the past several years I have been volunteering at a week of running races during August.  The ENDURrun.  8 days, 7 stages, 160 km.   At first I helped mostly on the course at water stations and directing at corners.  Now I spend more of my time preparing food for the many elite athletes as well as the numerous volunteers. This year I'm starting early with testing out some new recipes.   I made some variations on the traditional hummus.  At this link you'll find my earlier post which includes the hummus I have been making for several years.

This week I made Roasted Red Pepper Hummus from the Canadian Living Magazine website.  I changed the recipe slightly by increasing the amount of tahini to 1/3 cup and decreasing the amount of olive oil to 2 tbsp.  I haven't used olive oil in making hummus previously, so you can leave it out if you prefer.  In the photo, it is the hummus in the little dish on the right side.

Last week I tried a small package of Sweet Potato hummus from the grocery story.  It was sublime.  I figured there must be a recipe online.  It took about 5 seconds to find.  I used one by Martha Stewart.  Oops, I forgot to add the garlic.  I cooked my sweet potato in the microwave as I thought that boiling would leach away too much flavour. 

Both turned out wonderful.  Will be taking some of each to my race planning meeting today for comments from the other volunteers who will be cooking.

Nan, at Letters from a Hill Farm has a recipe for basic hummus that is quite similar to mine.
Louise at Adventures in a Low GI World has posted a recipe for hummus with lime and cilantro. This is definitely on my to try list.  She has just posted a recipe for Kumara Hummus (Kumara is New Zealand speak for Sweet Potato)

For more foodie fun, click on over to Weekend Cooking which is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  You are invited to add a link to your own current food related post.

13 comments:

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

I love hummus, I think the sweet potato sounds like a delicious variation! I already know I like the red pepper hummus.

TheBookGirl said...

I love all things sweet potato, so that sweet potato hummus interests me!

I'm sure your recipes will be a big hit with the runners and volunteers alike :)

Beth F said...

I love hummus and these variations -- especially the sweet potato one -- really interest me. I'm going to be giving them a try.

Uniflame said...

Sweet Potato Hummus sounds delicious to me :) Thanks for sharing this!

Margot said...

I love your creative spirit in trying new ways to make an old favorite. Good for you for volunteering your time as well.

Louise said...

I love hummus too. And last Australian summer I made quite a few variations. Didn't get to try a sweet potato one- but am sure I'd love it. One of my favourites from my trials was a lime and coriander/cilantro hummus. And I began using peanut butter in hummus instead of tahini! It's a revelation. Much lighter, less cloying.

http://adventuresinalowgiworld.blogspot.com/2011/02/coriander-and-lime-hummus.html

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yum - I love hummus but I would never have thought of a sweet potato variety.

Nan said...

I've made the same hummus for about forty years now and we still like it better than any we've ever tasted - like yours a bit but has olive oil. If you want to see it:

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/03/hummus.html

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
I've never heard or eaten hummus. I'll have to give this a try to see what it is. I love sweet potatoes. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Hi Heather, a bit off-topic I know but there is an article on my todays media Monday post that I thought you might find interesting - just look for the crochet fruit covers.

http://pettywitter.blogspot.com/2011/05/tiger-hunting-in-deepest-darkest.html

Diann said...

My 3 yr old and I can sit and eat hummus until it is all gone. I have never made and I think it is time to start! Have a great day!

Louise said...

Thanks so much for the link back to my lime and coriander hummus. I'm quite inspired to try a sweet potato hummus soon.

Louise said...

I made and blogged kumara hummus recently, it was really good.

http://adventuresinalowgiworld.blogspot.com/2011/06/kumara-hummus.html