Tuesday 31 December 2013

Needlework Tuesday - Final Projects of 2013

My final post of 2013 and what luck that it's a Needlework Tuesday post.  I've had a lot of enjoyment sharing my various needlework projects with you this past year.  Knowing that I'd be writing a new post each Tuesday really did keep me on my toes.  I felt that I needed to have something to show you each week even if it meant stitching late on a Monday evening.  I don't regret any of those late nights because it meant I was moving forward on a much desired project.  

At the same time, I hope that I have been able to encourage you at least a wee bit toward working on your own projects.  Near the end of the year, I started adding Mr. Linky so that my readers could share their recent needlework posts.  That will continue in the new year.  Once again, thanks for joining me at my blog, Books and Quilts for Needlework Tuesday.

One last finish for the year.  These are mitts for my sister and they are from a KnitPicks kit.  Notice how narrow they are, a classic example of why you always should knit a tension square before beginning.  I used 2.5mm needles are suggested but should have used 3mm.  I stitched the thumbs with 2.75mm and they are still a bit snug  Hopefully my sister has slim hands....

The motif of the northern lights over the mountains is quite appropriate for my sister as she lives in Alberta.



Yesterday I cast on for this headband for daughter.  I love to knit cables and am having fun with this challenge.  Pattern is by my friend Paulina Chin and is available from from Ravelry.  Julie's Cabled Headband.  I am using Red Heart Super Saver yarn as I happened to have it on hand.  A wool blend would be a much better choice.  I do expect that I'll be knitting this pattern again, probably several times.
I also cast on this Wingspan scarf for myself.  I am using 2 balls of Tarantella from elann.com. 

Last week I shared some of my homemade ornaments.  I'm re-posting the link, as you probably missed it since it was posted on Christmas Eve Day.

Are you the type of person who plans out projects long ahead of time?  For me, it's usually what jumps into my line of view at that vulnerable moment after I've finished my last project.  I'm going to try to be a bit focused next year.  I have a lot of quilt tops that need quilting and I want to play with fabric postcards and also with Zentangle inspired quilts.  Tea cosies are high on my list for knitting and still I want to crochet a Christmas tree skirt for a cousin.  I also think that I'll be stitching more than a few headbands.  I haven't made any of them before, but they look like quick projects and besides that, I've made so many scarves for family members that I think they are ready for a change.

Stay tuned for Needlework Tuesdays in 2014 and see what I actually stitch.

No comments: