Tuesday 17 December 2013

Needlework Tuesday - Playing in the Workshop (no elves in sight)

I had several requests last week to post a photo of the wingspan scarf being worn.  Son consented as long as I cropped his face.  Well, it's a back view so no worry there.   I have wool for my next one, and plan to start it in the new year.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

I spent some good time working on the quilt inspired by the broken herringbone blocks.  It's now about 38 inches square.  I'm planning to put it on point, though have yet to work out those details.  Since these blocks have lots of bias edges, I decided it was time to try Best Press.  It's a bit of a splurge, but it really did make it easier to deal with the edges without making the fabric too stiff. 
 
My goal for the week is to machine quilt a baby quilt, instead, I completed two of the 15 1/2 inch slab blocks.  I felt the need to stitch pieces of fabric together again and again.  I plan intend to make more of these blocks, though I don't know when that will happen. 
 
Then, it was back to the baby quilt.  It's for a little boy, and I want to show 'boy' motifs in the quilting instead of some random design.  I have traced out a number of them and will be using one of those disappearing markers to transfer them to the quilt top.  I'll be sure to take lots of photos to share with you later.
 
Next week I'll have a special post sharing some of my hand made Christmas ornaments.  I'll have Mr. Linky available if you'd like to share your special ornaments at that time.  Today you are invited to share your current needlework project. 
 
Looking for a more seasonal post, then click to visit last years post about Christmas Tree skirts (you can still add a link at that post ).
 
 

3 comments:

Marie said...

That's a terrific scarf. I love how it's worn/what it looks like on.

I love the fabrics on your herringbone and slab blocks. Bright and colourful. Was there a pattern for the slab ones? I looked at the link, but didn't see one. I love their randomness. Can't wait to see what the finished items look like.

I'll be taking the next two weeks off for the holidays. Hopefully, I'll be able to show a finished or close to finished sweater when I return. I might even have started a new project!

Take care, Heather. Have a wonderful and joyous Christmas!

Linda said...

Your wingspan looks amazing on! Great job on that. I have it on my list for the future. The pink quilt is looking great and can't wait to see the finished result. I need to try some slabs too. They look like great fun and a definite scrapbuster.
Merry Christmas to you.

Kate said...

I love the Wingspan. I did one last summer and made gloves to match.