Sunday 15 December 2013

Children of the Fog by Cheryl Kaye Tardif

If you enjoy a book that has you looking over your shoulder and double checking that the door is locked, then Children of the Fog is the book for you.  From the very first page I was getting that creepy feel.  In fact, after reading the first page, I had to put the book down, then came back to it a few minutes later and started reading again.  That creepy feeling remained with me for the rest of the book.

It's the dying days of her marriage and author Sadie O'Connell is getting ready for her son Sam's sixth birthday.  The party with his young friends seems to go well, but that is the last thing that does.  it's all downhill afterwards.  Sadie is hit with the trifacta of a failed marriage, alcoholism and the heartbreak of a missing child.  Through all this, Sadie manages to hold herself together and deal with two of these issues.  Ms. Tardif made her a believable character and mother.    Philip was more absent, I felt I learnt little about him which is exactly as he was in their marriage.

This book left me feeling on edge an I had to keep putting it down until I was about half way through, and then I couldn't put it down.  I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep without knowing how it all turned out.  A good read for those who enjoy suspense with a bit of the supernatural thrown in.  If you are squeamish about children being hurt, then select one of Cheryl's other novels.

Thanks to author Cheryl Kaye Tardif for the use of the cover image.

2 comments:

John Mutford said...

Cheryl was a Canadian Book Challenge participant in the early years, and has been a long time supporter.

By the way, you say that Cheryl gave permission to use the cover image. That's nice of her and all, but I believe that copyright laws allow you to use a cover image to accompany a review anyway.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Far too big a scaredy cat, its almost too much for me to get out of bed during the night without putting the light on to check that no bogeyman is lurking there, alas this isn't a book I'll be reading any time soon.