Monday 17 March 2014

Needlework Tuesday - A Tea Cosy Finish + more

My Scalloped Tea Cosy is finished, and as you can see, it looks good on my tea pot.  A wee bit big, but that is probably more a result of my tension than the pattern.  I did twelve pattern repeats of six scallops.  For a smaller pot you could do five scallops.  The pattern is free  from Crochetroo. If you plan to make this cosy, I do recommend that you find a video showing how to do the stitch, it will make it much easier to understand the directions.
 
 Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
 

 
The above two photos show the pieces I'll be working on today and tomorrow.  I'll be out of town visiting and sewing with a friend, hence I am putting my Tuesday post up early on Monday.  I'll have some more photos of this project next week.
 
It took a while, but I have finally started stitching on my crazy quilt block.  I was overwhelmed by the choice of thread colours to use when I pulled out my boxes of threads.  Which to choose?  while I was searching for supplies for another project, I came across a bag of pearl cotton that I had forgotten about.  There were only a dozen or so colours.  Perfect.  Just a wee bit of choice, far easier for me to work with. 
 
Two seams are completed here, both starting with a button hole type stitch.

 
To my cute polar bear friend, I have added a basic button hole stitch.

Years ago I bought a copy of The Crazy Quilt Handbook by Judith Baker Montano . Even then, I had plans to give this quilt form a try, it just took me much longer than expected.   I haven't read all the instructional parts and have skipped to the back section that gives detailed diagrams for an assortment of stitches and embellishments.  This should keep me going for a while until the next book I have ordered arrives.
Have you been stitching along at a project over the past week.  Add your link to Mr. Linky below and leave a comment telling me about it.  Without the encouragement of my readers, I wouldn't have started on my crazy quilt stitches (thanks to Regina and Teresa, and to Shelly regarding those weeds, I'll get to that one later in the week).
 

8 comments:

Lin said...

Good to see that you have started on your crazy block and it is looking good! I love the polar bear. Your tea cosy is amazing - gorgeous colours. xx

Marie said...

That tea cozy is adorable!!! Love it.

Love your crazy block, too. Great colours and stitching. I can see why it would be overwhelming.

Linda said...

Love your tea cozy! What a great stitch that is. Your crazy block is coming along just great. I still have to finish up mine.

Kate said...

I love the tea cosy. I'll be over for tea, later!

Shelley said...

Oh Heather, what a sweet teapot cosy...just darling. and you brave brave girl...starting a crazy quilt..my mind simply cannot get around the unstructured part of this pattern, no matter how many times I try it lol.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Loving the quilt, the blues are so gorgeous and your polar bear motif sweet.

Roslyn said...

Love that delicious teapot cozy!

Tami said...

The tea cozy is adorable! I don't even own a teapot, but there has to be other uses for general design. Hmmm... what else could I cover?

Your crazy quilt block is beautiful also. Are you using machine or hand stitch for your embellishments? I have tried a few blocks totally on machine, but my machine doesn't have a very large selection of decorative stitches.