Thursday 27 March 2014

Tangled Thursday - There's more to drawing than paper

Two weeks ago I made a challenge to my fellow tanglers, to draw on a media other than paper.  After that, I left it wide open to interpretation.  I had grand plans of using some wood shapes, printed fabrics and plastic, but I left it to the last minute instead of using my two weeks wisely.  Today I was in a focused stitching mode and came up with several postcards.  I tried not to use the same tangles again and again, but there are some that lend their selves to a sewing machine better than others.
 Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com.
I fused a piece of white cotton fabric to the heaviest interfacing I could find.  Then machine stitched free hand an assortment of designs using a shiny embroidery thread, rayon probably.  For the first two, I used a deep purple, even though it looks black, I think it is a little less harsh than a pure black.  Each card measures 4 x 6 inches.


It will take me a bunch more playing to find more tangles that work well on the machine.  I'll have to keep working with mooka, as I do like it's look when done by others, not too pleased with how mine turn out.

The next photos show some of the wooden items I bought in anticipation of drawing on them.  Some I am going to base paint with acrylic and the simplest ones, I will probably draw on directly with marker.


If you are still wondering how to get started with Zentangles, check out my earlier post where I'll  show you how I started.   You can use that as a launching point for your own explorations of this art style.





Tangled Thursday Participants
1. Tami @ Just One More Thing

2 comments:

Tami said...

Your machine tangles are gorgeous. What a creative idea. I've never tried free-hand stitching like that, but it looks like fun.

Anne Payne said...

I really like your tangles. I've been trying but not doing too well with mine :)