Thursday 13 March 2014

Tangled Thursday - Weaving Tangles

There are several tangles that remind me of weaving. Tami challenged us to use them in our drawings this week.  She specified W2 and Huggins, but said we were welcome to include others as desired.  I did a quick search and came up with eight that I wanted to try.  W2, Cheesecloth, Huggins, Bask-it, Basket Weave, Keeko, Weave, and Jute.  So far, I just can't get a handle on Jute, but will keep trying.  My next step was to draw them all out on one page for a quick reference.


 Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com.

I wasn't sure how a tile would look with four weave type tangles, but I needn't have worried, I feel there is enough difference in them, that they work well together.  Tangled featured: Huggins, Basket Weave, Keeko, and Weave.  The tile is a standard 3 1/2 inches.



A while back, I bought some little wood shapes with the plan of painting them white and then drawing on them.  I saw some on another site where the artist drew directly on the unpainted wood.  It was a very appealing look. 

The heart is about 2 1/2 inches high, 3 inches wide and just over 1/32 inch thick.  Tangle used: W2.
The bird is about 3 1/2 inches long and a bit over 2 inches tall.  Tangles used: Hair, Keeko, Papyrus, Cheesecloth and Bask-it.
It was fairly easy to draw on this wood as the surface was very smooth.  occasionally the pen seemed to snag as I drew across the grain, but it drew beautifully when I was going with the grain.  I am looking forward to purchasing more shapes.

I have had private messages for a few readers who have told me that they have been trying a few of the tangles.  I  hope that they will soon share their work either on their blog, or by sending me their photos and I'll post them here.

Our next challenge is for two weeks. This time, you need to draw on a medium other than paper.  It could be glass, fabric, wood or any other type of surface.  Go wild.

Feel free to add a link to your current Zentangle post below in Mr. Linky.




3 comments:

Marie said...

Great work, Heather. I love your reference page. So many good patterns there. Very inspiring.

Your tile looks terrific. The patterns do work well together. Both of the shapes worked out great, too. I'll have to keep that technique in mind.

Tami said...

I goofed and forgot to change the title of my link - so please excuse my "duh" - that is actually the link to this week's post. :)

I love the idea of drawing on other mediums - and I already have an idea. Your heart makes me think of pie! Beautiful. And the bird is lovely - would make a great Christmas ornament.

Anne Payne said...

I love your artwork! I purchased a booklet on Zentangling but my work is not very good at all. I'll keep trying though and when it looks better, maybe I will have enough confidence to post :)