Tuesday 4 December 2007

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

I watched this movie several months ago and it struck me that I didn't know the stories behind many of the main characters. That is, the Gentlemen. These include: Allan Quatermain, Captain Nemo, Dorian Gray, Agent Tom Sawyer(?), Mr. Hyde and the Invisible Man, and also Minna Harker.

Yes, I know who they are, but I don't know their stories. It set me to wondering whether I would have got more from the movie if I did know their histories.

I have set myself the task of finding and reading the following:

Dracula by Bram Stoker (Minna Harker)
Captain Nemo by Jules Verne
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells


Currently reading:

King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quatermain, by H. Rider Haggard

it shall be interesting to see whether my current understanding of each character is anything near what the author originally put to paper.

No comments: