Tuesday 22 October 2013

Needlework Tuesday : Photo Demo of the Gretchen Quilt Block

 
 
Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
 


I thought my readers might be interested in seeing how easily this block goes together.  The free pattern is available at Craftsy.com.

 
Sew the two large blocks together to make half square triangles





 
Notice how you need to flip two of the seams so that they nestle together nicely.  After stitching, press the block open and you're done.  The finished blocks is shown at the top of this post.

 
And for the triangles that were trimmed off, they are a usable size. 
I used the #4 template from Marti Michell to trim.

Last week I introduced you to the assortment of yarn that I am going to use for my Temperature Scarf.  What fun to knit now that I have gotten started.  First I had to decide which colour of yarn to use with which temperature range.

 
I may have to add one more colour, navy, depending on how cold it is expected to get this winter. 

 
I started my scarf, the one on the left, and then decided that while I am at it, I might as well knit another location as well.  It's a secret where.  The draw back of knitting stripes, is working in the many ends.  I decided that I wouldn't change colours at the ends, rather, I would knit ten stitches and change colours there and leave the ends as a sort of internal fringe. I was inspired by the pattern for the "Bojangles Scarf" in the book Merino Knits from Morehouse Farm by Margrit Lohrer.  I also as knitting two rows of black to mark month to month. 

2 comments:

Marie said...

I love the scarf! I love the "gauge" idea, too. I might have to copy that. I've just been using a scrap of paper. That black is going to be a great addition; it really brings out the colours. I wish I had done that. Nice work!

Tami said...

Very cool block. Not sure I've seen that one before - and it's so much easier than it looks. Thanks for sharing.