Tuesday 27 May 2014

Needlework Tuesday - oh so close...

I have been working diligently on the salmon afghan for my sister and I thought I was finally at the end with all the strips sewn together, but alas, I need to do the outer border.  I'm on the first round and have two more of something called V-stitch.  I'm sure I've done it before, and should be able to pick it up quickly.  I am so looking forward to getting this finished and then packed up and mailed to her.  Not perfect timing with summer approaching, but the evenings can be quite cool at times.  I have several other items to put in the package, though I will have to leave out the chocolate since it might, will definitely melt, and might seep out of it's package.  Oh well, I suppose I could eat it and buy her more later when it's cooler.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.


As one project comes to an end, time to start thinking of the next. Over the past few years I have placed a few orders with Elann.  They are a Canadian company with a wonderful selection of high quality wools and yarns.  Their prices are competitive with other online speciality retailers.
Where they excel is their customer service.  They send out regular emails and occasional very special offers.  i don't always read them closely as I don't place too many orders and usually my purchases are below the threshold price.  This time, I was over that magic number and qualified for the special.  I didn't realise this and subsequently didn't add it to my order.  Customer Service Rep Maggie, put my order on hold and sent me an email telling me about the special and asking what colour I wanted.  Wow, the special was three free balls of Ambrosia, 70% alpaca/20% silk/10%cashmere.  about a $40. value for free.

What did I order?  A yarn kit to make the "Color Affection" shawl by Veera at Rain Knitwear Designs.   Shown in the above photo is elann A-Series F01 pure superwash merino wool, four balls of each colour . It feels heavenly.

Daughter wanted "Cabled Bolero" by Norah Gaughan.  We ordered  13  50gram balls of elann A-Series A01 Pure 28 micron Punta Arenas Wool.  Not quite as soft as the above wool though I think it will make a terrific sweater for daughter.  We chose the slightly off white colour and it suits her beautifully.
Finally, the bonus.  Three 50gram balls in this sumptuous brown colour.  I have no plans for it at the moment as it was a surprise.   I hope that you'll visit the Elann site and if you do make a order, say hello to the wonderful Maggie for me.
Over the past while, I have told you about the quilt repair kit I am making for my daughter's voice coach.  It's done (with the exception of the label, waiting for more details).  As a surprise, I put together a practise piece for her.  I took the same motif and with some wee changes to the stem, made a pillow top.  The stem, leaves and the pale pink of the flower are basted on awaiting her practise stitches.  I have included all that she needs to hand quilt it, (minus the thread).  i wanted her to experience the work that her grandmothers did so she could have a complete feel for what they created.  The back of the pillow is included, though she'll have to purchase a pillow form.  I think it will look lovely on top of the quilt on her bed.


Once I finished working with all those lovely 1930's fabrics, I had to use them to make some fabric postcards.  they are so different from my usual fabric choices which made them even more fun to work with.  These are one inch squares on a very stiff fusible.  Next the embroidery with shiny thread.  Hopefully photos next week.

Did you get any stitching this past week or were you in the garden.  I did more weeding and managed to keep my hands clean.  Thanks for all the suggestions last week.  Using plastic gloves to line my fabric ones, and to use the 'Gloves in a Bottle' are ones that I am going to try.  i also need to search for the lava soap that was suggested.  I knew that if I asked, my readers would be able to help.  Thank-you.

Mr. Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework project.

5 comments:

Roslyn said...

The afghan is gorgeous Heather, love the design and that wool is luscious, but it's not tempting me LOL.
How kind of you to help out another in her quest to preserve the past, I love to rescue vintage abandoned items and have several quilts that were abandoned on eBay as wrinkled stained tops.

Kate said...

Good idea to eat the chocolate yourself. who know what havoc it might create in the postal system.
Looking forward to seeing your Color Affection.

Lin said...

Your knitting is beautiful - lucky sister! xx

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yet more examples of your skill. I love your afghan, that raspberry colour is so pretty.

barbara woods said...

Love your flower block