Saturday 24 May 2014

Weekend Cooking - A Small Bit of Gardening


 Thankfully, I am a better cook than a gardener.  I have managed to keep several of my asparagus plants alive for 6 or 7 years.  Just enough to cut a few stems every second or third day.  Only two of us enjoy eating it, so I really don't need more.  I like to cut it up and saute it with other vegetables.  Then I can add it with eggs, or tomatoes or however else we are eating that day.
 Beside the asparagus is the rhubard.  It grows a big healthy clump each year.  While I do love the taste, the season often gets away from me and I find I under use it.  Perhaps it's because I have a variety that stays green instead of turning that cheerful red colour.  I just don't find the green very appealing.  My cousin just sent me a link for a rhurbarb strawberry sorbet which I am looking forward to trying.

We are at the very north edge of the growing zone for Redbud trees.  I have two and they seem to love my yard.  They both experienced some damage due to the massive ice storm in December, but they appear to be recovering nicely.

Some years, I can even manage to grow tulips.  Not every year, a few times, they have failed to erupt from the ground. This is the second year for these bulbs. 

Thanks for visiting with me for Weekend Cooking, a meme hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  You are invited to visit with her and leave a link to your current food related post.

5 comments:

Beth F said...

Oh, oh, oh! Look at that asparagus!! How cool. I've never tried growing it -- now I wish I had. I think it takes a couple of years before you can harvest (or am I remembering wrong?). I too have mixed results with tulips -- I think I have three that come up despite having planted a zillion bulbs over the years.

Roslyn said...

My Granny's garden in Sydney, Aus. always had fresh asparagus, I remember picking it! Didn't appreciate this luxury back then!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I'm very envious of your little asparagus crop. It is hands down my favourite vegetable, but I've never tried growing it - a number of tomato plants and a few herbs each summer is about my limit when it comes of gardening.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I love rhubarb. We had it growing in abundance in the garden of the last house we lived in but sadly I didn't think to bring any with us to transplant.

Joy said...

Yum! I hope you find a use for that rhubarb. I've never tried growing it, but it looks like a beautiful plant!

Joy's Book Blog