Sunday 11 May 2014

Volunteering on Mother's Day - Minds in Motion Walking Race

In Canada, we are celebrating our mothers today.  Since my mother is away on vacation, I decided to volunteer at the Minds in Motion Walking Race held in Waterloo, Ontario.  The race was a fund raisers to purchase good quality walking shoes for people dealing with mental health issues.  Exercise is not only great for the body, it's fantastic for the mind.  These were the happiest group of walkers.  Every one of them that came to the food tent after the walk had a huge smile on his or her face.

I was busy helping at the food tent, but i did sneak away with my camera a few times for photo taking.  Just a few can be found below.  Sorry , i don't have names to associate with the photos, if you see yourself, let me know and I'll make that addition.

There were over 900 walkers and 200 volunteers.  I can only share a few of my photos. I suspect that the event website will be updated with many more photos.

a - Massage therapists ready and awaiting race participants

b - Walking in a team with friends is such fun

c - Linda did a great job co-ordinating the food volunteers

d - Food Volunteer

e - Food Volunteer

f - Food Volunteer

g - Great seating for walking with mom

h - Even wheelchair 'walkers' were included

Race Director Lloyd Schmidt put together new and most enjoyable race route (comments I heard from a number of participants)

i - Pace bike ahead of the first walkers at 9am

j - Pace bike ahead of the first walkers at 9am

k - One of the race photographers

l - And they're off

m -

n -

o - Food volunteer



2 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Great photos, what a wonderful way to celebrate. A belated Happy Mother's Day to all mothers and mother figures out there.

Roslyn said...

You are so blessed to have your Mom Heather, I know how much you enjoy her!