Thursday 8 May 2014

Tangled Thursday - SSSSSpring

Sorry to be so late at this today.  I got up early with the best of intentions, to finish the book I am reading, so that I could get to my post, but I had the hardest time putting it down.  As it is, I still have about 40 pages to go and I really want to get back to it.  I'm reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.  I had no expectations going into it, but from about page 60, haven't wanted to leave it alone. Alas, it's Thursday morning and I must get my promised Zentangle post up.

Our current challenge comes from Marie at Daisy's Book Journal.  Since it is supposed to be spring here in the northern hemisphere, she has limited us to using tangles who's name start with the letter 's'.

Not knowing what I wanted to do, I started with a sketch page of about 22 possible tangles, many of them new to me.

Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com.

On Tuesday in my needlework post, I showed you the start of this postcard , a pattern called Old Rose.  The stitching is now complete, and it served as the inspiration for my first drawing.

 Tangles used are: Scallops, Sparkle, Slender, Summer Swirls, Swirls, and Semaphore.
 Next I decided to use strings from TanglePatterns.com that reminded me of the letter 'S'. No sure why I decided to go without borders this week, though I realise I tend to do this when I use the string designs from this site. String 90

Tangles used: Summer Swirls, Starburst, Sponge, Snake, Striccles, squares, Satellites, and Seedlings.

This third tile started with string 103.  Tangles used include: Scallops, Stepping Stones, Starry Night, and Star Map.  I'm mostly happy with it, though I didn't quite get the scallops all properly aligned (not that i"m going to re-draw the thing at this point).
 The silent member of our group, Elaine (my mom), was here at Easter and she brought her sketch book.  She has been working away at Mooka.  First is her practise page.  I always felt this was one of her favourites as i have found lots of scraps of paper in her kitchen with this particular tangle scrawled all over it.  She finally admitted that she keeps drawing it as she finds it somewhat of a challenge.  And here I was thinking she kept doing it because she liked it so much. Way to go Mom.

ps. here's the link to our Mooka post in case you missed it.

I hope that you have been drawing along with us.  Don't be shy about sharing your progress. None of us are professional artists, we do this because it's fun and relaxing.  Go ahead and give it a try, as the founders say "Anything is possible... one stroke at a time". Maria Thomas.

Mr. Linky is waiting below for your link.  Please leave a comment and I'll visit with you.

4 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful tangles and applique!! I have several tangle books, plenty of pens and paper......I just need to quit quilting ALL the time :) The tangle your mom is doing looks interesting!

Marie said...

I love it when you show your sketch book. It's so cool.

All of your tiles are awesome!! I was hoping someone was going to do a flower. Very nice. I tried, but wasn't successful. I recognize many of the patterns (from TanglePatterns.com), but I haven't done many of them...yet.

Elaine, it's nice to see your work! I tend to give up when a pattern stumps me. Good for you for sticking with it. Your Mookas are terrific.

Have a great week.

Tami said...

Wonderful tangles, but the Old Rose tangle wins the day. Great use of patterns to mimic the parts of the flower.

I missed the mooka challenge and have yet to even try drawing it. It looks so challenging I'm a little scared to try. Elaine's are beautiful.

Regina said...

Your postcard is fantastic (your tangles too)!