Monday 19 April 2010

The Call of the Wild and three other Klondike Stories by Jack London - audiobook

The Call of the Wild
Buck has been dognapped in California and transported north to the Klondike.  Along the way he encounters a number of temporary owners who treat him in manners he is unaccustomed to.  Finally, when he is on the verge of death, he is rescued by an injured man who nurses him back to health. 

Love of Life

Two prospectors are trying to find their way back to their canoe so they can travel south before the winter weather sets in.  They become separated and try to make it on their own.  Examines what it takes in a man to will yourself to survive.

To Build a Fire

One prospector finds that fire is the key to life in the north and what happens when he ignores hard won advice.

To the Man on the Trail

A life in the north is hard.  In this story one man is trying to outrun the law and encounters help/resistance along the way.

This audiobook is from Brilliance Audio 2004 and was read by Roger Dressler.

Cover image courtesy of Chapters.ca

I totally enjoyed all four stories and plan to read more by Jack London.  To learn more about this author visit the website of the Jack London State Historic Park.
Considering the number of stories and book that he penned, I find that rather surprising that I haven't read any of them earlier. I'm glad that I joined the Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Challenge and thus found this moving book.  This is my first read for the challenge.

2 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I had to read Call Of the Wild whilst at school and remember sobbing my heart out, (I get so upset at animal stories)- the other books I haven't read.

Dorte H said...

I read Call of the Wild several years ago, but I was stupid enough to lend it to a student - never saw it again.