Thursday 1 April 2010

Recipe Thursday - Easy Food


I wish that I were inspired and enthused about cooking everyday, but it's not so. Today my daughter is making dinner and will illustrate for you how simple it can be.
First, buy a large (3 pound) bag of frozen meatballs.
Empty them into your crockpot.

Pour a 2 cup bottle of Honey Garlic BBQ sauce over the meatballs.  Plug in your crockpot, turn the setting to low and cover.  Now leave it alone for about 8 hours and you will have wonderful swedish style meatballs at dinner time.
That being all finished, off she went to school.  I still needed lunch.  A search of the refrigerator turned up a dish of cooked spagetti squash.  To prepare the squash, bring a pan of water to a boil, gently place the whole squash in the water, cover and leave to boil for about 30 minutes.  It is done when you can easily pirce the skin with a fork. When it's cool enough to handle, cut it in half from top to bottom, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff.  Then using a fork gently shred the flesh.  it will look just like spagetti.  Serve with a bit of butter and shredded cheese.  This is a very versitile vegetable as it has such a gentle flavour.  Add your choice of spicy sauces.

Today I thought I would experiment.  I spooned some cooked squash in a bowl and topped with an egg.  Mixed them together well and then put it in the microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute.  Then added some shredded cheddar and cooked for another 20 seconds to melt the cheese.

I topped this with a good dollop of Thai Sweet and Spicy Sauce.  It made for a good lunch with not too many calories and lots of vegetable serving. 

6 comments:

cindysloveofbooks said...

Hmm I never thought to do that meatballs like that. Thanks for sharing. I love my slowcooker and I will be trying that recipe out.

Diana LaMarre said...

I do my meatballs just like that for my Christmas Eve gathering. Your post reminded me that I have a container of leftovers in the freezer. I think I will get them out for this weekend!

Margot said...

I do love my crockpot too. Meatboalls are great for so many things. I didn't know they made a garlic honey barbeque sauce. That sounds so good. I'm going to have to find it.

Just Mom said...

I've always done meatballs with the chili sauce/grape jelly combo. Maybe it is time I broke out of the mold and tried soemthing new! Thanks for posting!

Beth F said...

Loved the photos! And easy, peasy crockpot recipe. Great way to use up spaghetti squash; I bet it was good.

caite said...

my niece just made some meatballs in the crockpot with a peanut sauce. yum...and so easy.