Friday 16 April 2010

Recipe Thursday - Picadillo Pie


Do you remember when you bought that new cookbook?  You were going to try so many new recipes and then for whatever reason, it was put away and you forgot about it.  That's what happened with this book Company's Coming: Most Loved Casseroles.  I was looking for an easy dinner for son to make, and this book jumped of the shelf and said "use me, use me".  I don't know if he made one of the recipes, but I tried two of them.  They both were tasty.  "Quick Tuna Casserole" is a savory dish that you can't go wrong in chosing.  We all agreed that it could use a bit more ZIP, and added a few dashes of hot sauce to our plates.   With that success under my belt, I ventured further into the book and decided upon "Picadillo Pie".  I had to make a few substitutions as I didn't read the recipe properly prior to my shopping trip.  I skipped the mushrooms, used pizza olives with no pimento, and totally missed that there was a white potato called for. oops.  Still tasted great and will definitely make this again.  Note that the addition of the dried fruit does not make it a sweet dish.

Picadillo Pie

2 tsp cooking oil
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped fresh white mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano

28 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
3/4 cup sliced pimento-stuffed olives
1/2 cup chopped dried apricot
1/2 cup dark raisins

2 pounds sweet potatoes
1 pound potatoes

3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp yellow cornmeal
1 large egg, beaten with a fork
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper (or to taste)

Heat cooking oil in large frying pan on medium.  Add Beef.  Scramble-fry for about 10 minutes until no longer pink.  Drain.

Add next 6 ingredients.  Cook for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and liquid is evaporated.

Add next 4 ingredients.  Stir.  Bring to a boil.  Spread in a greased 3 quart shallow baking dish.  Set aside.
Cook sweet potato and potato in boiling salted water in a large saucepan until tender.  Drain.  Add remaining 6 ingredients. Mash.  Spread on top of beef mixture.  Score decorative pattern on top with a fork.  Bake, uncovered, in 375F oven for about 40 minutes until potato mixture is firm.  Serves 8.  About 450 calories per serving.
To follow up this wonderful meal, we had sugar cookies that my daughter iced.  I told her she needed to make the frosting and could chose the colour.  For the recipe visit 'The Sisters Cafe' for their Melt in Your Mouth Sugar Cookies post.  ps, you don't have to make vivid purple frosting.


Visit 'Weekend Cooking' with Beth Fish Reads to see what other bloggers are making this weekend.  Also features reviews of food related books and movies. All are inivited to join in the culinary fun.   

5 comments:

The Single Nester said...

This pie looks delicious! Can't wait to try it.

Beth F said...

I haven't made picadilloo in ages! This sounds like a good recipe and I like the cornmeal crust idea.

The cookies are definitely vivid. My niece would go crazy for them.

caite said...

I love cumin...I love cornmeal...so I think I will have to try this, although the raisins and apricots are a tiny bit odd. But I will give it a go!

Margot said...

I've never heard of picadilloo but it sounds delicious. I like the combination of ingredients. Looks yummy.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

This looks like a nice hearty meal!

I love "The Sisters Cafe". One of the sisters is a friend of mine so I have had the pleasure of trying things first hand! LOL