Friday 9 April 2010

Recipe Thursday - Linguine with Salmon and Lemon Sauce

I have had this little cookbook for a zillion years (ok, maybe early 1990's).  It is still available though it was reprinted in 2004 with a different cover.  i have made several recipes from it but keep coming back to this one.  Its a family favourite now.  My son even made the dish for his cousins this week and they enjoyed it (even the fish hating one).
Linguine with Salmon and Lemon Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vertically sliced onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp finely shredded lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp coarsely chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1 can (7 3/4 ounces) red salmon
12 ounces linguine
grated parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a skillet over low heat; stir in onion slices.  Saute, stirring, until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.  Add garlic; saute 2 minutes.  Stir in lemon zest, juice, and parsley.  Add salmon; carefully break up with a fork.  ( i add the bones and skin, but mash the bones with the fork) Do not stir.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, or firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.

Reheat sauce over high heat; do not stir.  Toss Linguine and sauce together.  Serve at once sprinkled with Parmesan.

(we made ours with Fettucine and it was just as good, we didn't have any parsley, but thats just ok with my kids, none of those icky green specks).

6 comments:

JoAnn said...

I remember when the girls got a little older and we began putting 'icky green stuff' on food again. Salmon is my oldest daughter's favorite - she'd love this!

Beth F said...

I love salmon in all forms -- fresh, smoked, canned. This looks so easy and perfect for work nights. One of my nephews is turned off by the green stuff too.

bermudaonion said...

I need to get that book - we love pasta around here!

caite said...

I love salmon, but have never had it with pasta. I have to try this...

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yum, pasta is one of my favourites and something I can actually cook for myself without to much danger of food poisoning or burning the house down.

Amy said...

Oh my, this looks good! I'm not a big fan of fish, but I have been known to eat it when it's mixed with pasta!