Monday 26 April 2010

Recipe Thursday - Catch-up


Last time on Recipe Thursday I introduced you to my new cookbook Company's Coming: most loved Casseroles.  I have now tried three additional recipes, or rather I have tried two and hubby tried one.  He stuck with the tradition "Wieners and Beans".  It turned out exactly as imagined.  It's a very hardy dish thats loaded in fibre and hubby learned about  a new to him ingredient called dry mustard.

Next recipe I tried was "Eggplant Pasta Bake".  While I was making this dish I was tempted to add more than the two cups of penne that were called for.  Glad I didn't as my pan would have overflowed.  My picture doesn't do justice.  Visit the Company Coming's website for the recipe and a much better picture. Again, I need to remember to read recipes more carefully before I shop for the ingredients.  I forgot to purchase the basil pesto and it was sorely missed.  I did add some dried basil, but it seemed as though something was missing.

I had much more success with the "Cheese Strata".  This was easy to make, turned out wonderful and tasted delightful.  And it even used the dry mustard powder again.
Cheese Strata

7 slices white bread slices, cubed
2 cups grated medium Cheddar cheese
4 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Spread bread cubes in greased 9 x9 inch pan.  Sprinkle with cheese.

Beat remaining 7 ingredients in medium bowl until combined.  Pour over cheese.  Chill, covered, for at least 6 hours or overnight.  Bake, uncovered, in 350 F oven for about 45 minutes until golden, centre is raised, and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.  Puffiness will settle almost immediately.  Serves 6.

I made this using  5 Wonder hotdog buns.  For reasons I won't go into, we had two dozen of these buns and no hotdogs.  It turned out terrific.  The left overs we ate both heated and cold.  Good either way.  This is definitely on the repeat list.

I feel that I have now exhausted this cookbook.  Not that I am going to stop using it, but I don't feel that I can rightly repeat any more of the recipes.  I'll be going on to a new cookbook shortly and will be hoping we enjoy it as much.

No comments: