Sunday 4 April 2010

Deep Fried Easter Turkey

A day in the life of a typical celebration dinner at my house. 

Menu:
deep fried turkey
baked Russet potatoes (in the crock pot)
corn
home made cranberry sauce with orange
crescent rolls from the little tube
cranberry stuffing from a package
turkey gravy
home made Hummingbird cake with cream cheese frosting

This is the huge pot that we cook the turkey in.  Must be done outside well away from the house.  The metal tube looped at the top of the pot is the custom thermometre.  Temperature of the oil is critical.

Look carefully in the top of the pot and you can see that the oil is bubbling vigorously.  We had a 15 pound turkey and it cooked perfectly in 45 minutes.

Views of the turkey from both directions.  It is so incredibly crispy and wonderful.  I didn't have to touch up these photos in any way.

That's my plate of dinner waiting for me to dig in.  If you have never done your potatoes in a crock pot you really must.  They are almost creamy. But make sure that you get Russet Potatoes.

My children helped me make this delightful cake.  I found the recipe at the Robin Hood Flour site.  Hummingbird Cake.  I measured all the ingredients and left them on the counter.  My kids then took over and did all the mixing and successfully got the cake in the oven. They didn't fling batter around the kitchen either.
We did substitute walnuts for the pecans as I couldn't find them in the store.  I had to leave it in the oven a few minutes longer. The cake is moist and light. Very yummy.

Thanks for sharing dinner with me and my family.

Visit Rachelle at Bibliobabe.com for her comments and recipe for Hummingbird Cake.

12 comments:

cindysloveofbooks said...

Heather it all looks so good and yummy. My brother in law in Georgia swears by this deep fried turkey/chicken. He told us that for xmas next year he is getting us the kit. Seeing your pictures makes me want to try it now.

Happy Easter

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the cake sounds great I am printing out the recipes - it looks good to. I don't make cake too often anymore (hubby on a diet) but I think I might half the recipe and make a smaller cake.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Unknown said...

Wow, your entire Easter dinner looks wonderful! I have never had fried turkey before, but I hear that it is wonderful. Now the cake is right up my alley. Glad you had a wonderful day!

Shelley said...

The turkey makes me drool!!

Marie said...

This looks awesome. I've heard of deep fried turkey, but I've never had it. Likewise with the baked potatoes ala crock pot.

The cake looks divine. I'm also saving the recipe. Maybe for a special occasion.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

More interested in the cake than the turkey, I could just eat a slice with a cup of tea. I've never seen such a huge pan, not even a catering sized pan - how do you manage to lift it?

Heather said...

I have to admit that my favourite part of the dinner, after the potatoes, was the cake.

Petty Witter, we have an even larger pot. This is the first one we bought, and when we misplaced it, hubby went and bought and even larger one. So now we have two absolutely huge pots. Once we used one for a outdoor corn roast and it was just the perfect size. And don't even ask how we could possibly have misplaced something this large.

Dorte H said...

Oh, that turkey looks gorgeous!

amy said...

Looks great, I've never had deep fried turkey but always wanted to try it. Thanks for stopping by peppertowne.com

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Hi Heather, If you'd like to stop by my blog I have a prolific blogger award for you. P.S How DID you manage to loose something that big?

Bibliobabe said...

Wow! Your dinner was beautiful! I am too scared to try deep frying a turkey - but would love to be invited over anytime to try yours! :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Yum yum...everything looks so good!
I have never tried potatoes in the crock pot!