Tuesday 12 July 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Special Memorial Edition

Yesterday I posted a memorial to my nephew Alex who passed away July 4, 2011.  Today I am sharing with you the quilt that I made for him.  Actually, this is the baby quilt made from the left overs to the matching twin size quilt.  These were among my very first adventures in quilting.  The twin size quilt is supposedly stored in the closet in his apartment.  He didn't want to use it so that it would stay in perfect condition.  He gave this quilt back to me quite a few years ago.  He wanted me to keep it safe for him.

They were made from  the Amish Quilt pattern by Eleanor Burns.  That pattern was first published in 1986 and this quilt must have been made shortly afterward.

Even though I made this out of poly cotton fabrics, it is still in really good condition.  Once I give it a gentle wash, I'll add a label to the back and pass it along to my sister.

5 comments:

Rikki said...

Beautiful quilt, Heather. The colors are perfect for a young man. I was sad when I read yesterday's post. What a tragedy!
Here is my post for needlework Tuesday: http://www.rikkidonovan.com/index.php/2011/07/12/needlework-tuesday-netbook-cover/

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

What a lovely quilt. I'm sure it will bring some comfort to your sister having this link to her son. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, you will all be in my prayers.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Two wonderful posts, both beautiful tributes to a young man who was so obviously loved.

Marie said...

Heather, this is such a beautiful quilt for a beautiful young man. He was taken from his family much too soon. My thoughts are with all of you.

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

Heather, I just wanted to stop by to let you know I'm thinking of you and your family and hoping you all are holding up as best you can.