Saturday 2 July 2011

The Lime Green Secret by Georgia Graham

This absolutely adorable children's book tells the story of Gloria and the beautiful dress her mother makes for her when she is chosen to be the flower girl in her sister Fran's wedding.  As a parent, I just knew that there was going to be trouble when the mother stored the dress, white shoes, long white gloves and tiara in Gloria's room.

It doesn't take long before Gloria is wearing the outfit for play.  Disaster strikes quickly in the form of a big lime green stain on the front of the dress.  How will she keep this stain hidden and still wear the dress at the wedding?

This story vividly reminded me of the many times I dressed my children in their finery and admonished them not to get it dirty.  Ha, it never worked for long.  Author Georgia Graham has written a charming story and the chalk pastel pictures are wonderful.  They are colourful and full of rich detail.   Even the inside of the cover paper contains a bonus drawing.

This is my 2nd book for the 5th Canadian Reading Challenge and for the Under the Midnight Sun readathon.

5 comments:

John Mutford said...

I first read the title as The Lime Green Sorbet. Oh the read-a-thon is breaking my brain.

Sounds like an entertaining book!

Melwyk said...

I remember this one from processing it at work -- I stopped to read it. I agree, very cute book.

Wanda said...

This sounds charming. My youngest may lean more toward heavier chapter books now (finished the Harry Potter series a couple weeks ago) but my nieces love picture books, will look for this one.

Em said...

Good morning!
Great two books read! It's also nice to see picture books being reviewed; children are the readers of tomorrow...

Perogyo said...

This sounds very good, and very much like something my kids and I could relate to! We have special towels for wrapping around my kids anytime they need to have something nice on for a special occasion. It's funny how none of their playclothes have paint on them but my son's school uniform and his suit both do.