Tuesday 19 July 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Pink Doily

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project..  Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post.  

The last two weeks have been tough for me.  My dear god son passed away.  The day after his memorial service, his grandfather passed away (not my dad).  I am so sad for my sister and her family.  Grief is hard to deal with, though we all must find a way.  For me, I turn to my needlework.   It keeps me busy as I find that I must pay close attention, or I make mistakes.


I cut lots of strips for a jelly roll quilt.  I'll tell you about that once I start the sewing.  I stitched another of those ruffled scarves, though in a thicker yarn.  It's not quite finished, and I will have photos and a link to the pattern next week.

In a further attempt to distract myself, over the course of three days, I started and finished a doily for my mother.  The pattern is from Magic Crochet Number 69, December 1990.  It is called "Shower of Sparks" designed by Glendola Hodges.  Additional designs by Glendola can be found on Ravelry
I used pink size 10 thread from Southmaid.  Unfortunately I used the wrong size hook, a 7 US instead of a 4US.  1.50 mm instead of 1.75.  The finished doily measures 15 inches instead of 17.  Too small for mom's table.  I have purchased a new ball of thread and a larger hook and am starting again.  As a bonus, my mother will receive two doilies.

 This final photo shows the start of the new, and hopefully larger doily.  I have just finished row/circle 4.


A question for my dear readers.  I wasn't up to shopping all around for a new hook, so bought the first one I found.  It is made by Unique, which is available through H. A. Kidd.  It's okay and not expensive.  Are there better quality hooks available?  This one catches on my finger far too much.

I'd love to know what you have been working on this past week. 

Ovwer at Rikki's Teleidoscope, Rikki has been busy stitching up some neat little pouches to hold all sorts of special items.

Marie, at Daisy's Book Journal has posted photos of her rain chain.  If you're like me and didn't know what this is, then you must go and check.

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Hoping you and your family are doing ok. Losing a loved one is always hard. I love your doily. How nice your mom gets 2 doilies. I can't read your question, the writing disappears into the picture. So I'm just taking a guess. I use Boyle Steel Crochet hooks. I like Boyle much better than the others. I don't have any updates this week, been a really busy week, didn't get to crochet at all. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Rikki said...

Your doily looks very nice. I also like the start of the new one.
As far as hooks go, I probably can't help zyou since I am sure you have other brands than we have over here. What I am always looking out for are those annoying tiny sharp hooks at the end of the hook. Some hooks have those and they always get caught in the yarn. Sloppy craftsmanship (or rather machines), I suppose....
My post is here...
http://www.rikkidonovan.com/index.php/2011/07/19/needlework-tuesday-mass-production/

Marie said...

Oh, Heather. How awful. Again, I offer my condolences. I, too, find that crafting is cathartic.

That doily is beautiful, even if it didn't turn out as you wanted.

My Needlework Tuesday is here.

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Heather,
My condolences on the loss of your loved one.

You are a talented lady -- crocheted doilies in addition to the quilts. I love the doily.

I have not done any needlework for quite a few weeks--too busy with the flower garden during July. I am getting itchy to do some sewing.

Nice visiting with you again.

Linda said...

Hi Heather, Your pink doily is wonderful! Wish I could crochet. I need to learn so I can crochet the blocks together when I finish the squares for my Barbara Walker Learn-to-Knit Afghan that I am currently working on.