Wednesday 20 July 2011

A Most Fun Race: The Dirty Dash

 There are times in life when you have to go out and doing something different just for the fun of it.  Sunday was one of those days.  Run Waterloo  hosted their second Dirty Dash, a fun raiser for Special Olympics. 

The aim of this race was to have fun.  Located in the hilly Bechtel Park, it covered 4 km including 2 short dips into the river and ended with wading through a 30 metres mud pit.
These wonderful volunteers spent hours digging in the mud to ensure that we would have tough time getting through.

Here I am at the start of the race.  All happy and clean.  I bought this pretty skirt with lace and satin so I could look spectacular.  It was a hot day, already about 28C and it was only 9 am.  Going to be a scorcher, good thing we get to go in the river.
 The next few photos show me carefully trying to navigate the mud pit.  The bottom of the pit was all bumpy with foot grabbing holes.  To help us all out, the race director strung flag ropes across the pit and declared that we had to pass under the flags and not lift them up.  They were pretty close to the mud.


At this point my skirt, which i had been wearing as a dress is so heavy that I had to hold it up.

I did it. Success.  my worst time ever for 4 km.  42 minutes.  

I don't know the name of this participant, but I loved her outfit.  She ran just ahead of me the whole race.  Don't you love those pink fur leg warmers.

3 comments:

Marie said...

I love the pink skirt. It looks like you had a blast and a much needed respite from everything that's been happening. I do hope you can get the mud out of that skirt. Good luck.

Em said...

Hmmm,playing in the mud, like when we were kids :)

Dorte H said...

My, you are both so cute! I´d say, your olympic games look much funnier than those we can watch on TV :D