Monday 11 July 2011

Memorial - Alexander Erich Krueger

Alexander Erich Krueger
November 12, 1984  -  July 4, 2011

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Heather and I’m Shelley’s sister. Alex was still a newborn when Shelley and Marcus did me the privilege and asked me to be Alex’s God Mother. That was a position that I took very seriously. I have many wonderful memories of time spent with Alex, and I’d like to share just a few of them with you.
I lived with the three of them when I was in my final year of university. Alex wasn’t even two years old. At a particular time every evening Alex’s favorite show would come on. No matter where he was in the house, when he heard the music to Wheel of Fortune, he would come running. He loved Vanna. He would stand right in front of the TV until he saw Vanna and then he would just as quickly wander away.



He was two and half when I got married. Alex was the only child invited to the reception. He looked angelic when he arrived dressed in an immaculate small white tuxedo, a teddy bear clutched in one arm and his green sunglasses in the other. He was allowed to wander free in the church while the ceremony proceeded. While we were getting ready to say our vows, Alex spied the very shiny collection plate which was leaning against the wall at the very front of the church. Next thing I knew, he had walked directly up to it and proceeded to give it a good shove. It rolled around the front of the church until it noisily spiraled and settled down on the carpet. A little levity is always welcome.






At some point after this, but before Ben was born, Shelley and I were out together and my husband Eric was babysitting. We were living in a co-op and most of the residents were students. It was near the end of term and there had been partying the night before. After I returned home I heard from Eric, that Alex had had a great time gathering up all the discarded beer empties and then he moved on to collecting many more discarded bottle caps. This must have been the start of his metal recycling career.


When Alex visited my house he always wanted to help. He loved my green vacuum and would spend ages re-vacuuming the same small carpet. When he was older, he’d show up for a family dinner wanting to cut the grass before eating.. I learned to leave yard work for him, and of course, I would stack up my recycling for him to carry out to the garage. He never objected to being asked to help out.

I’m sure it’s no surprise that Alex asked a lot of questions. He would ask the same thing in many different ways. At our house we had instituted the 5 question rule. For the duration of any visit, Alex was only allowed to ask 5 questions. Some times this technique worked. Other times, well, I learned how to give elaborate answers just to slow him down from asking the next question.



I’ll miss you Alex. I tip my double espresso to you.


This is the text of the eulogy that I delivered at his memorial service.  Alex died of a heart attack at the young age of 26.  None of us knew that he had atherosclerosis and had 75% blockage of all the arteries.  He was an active young man, going to the gym every day, lots of bike riding and walking and he had a very active job.

Hug your kids, and then call your doctor and set up and appointment to get your cholesterol levels checked.

13 comments:

Linda said...

So very sorry for your loss Heather.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
So sorry for your loss. It seems to me that the good ones are taken way too early. I'm sure God has his reasons but we are left with a hole where they used to be. My prayers are with you and your family.

Sherrie
Just Books

Dorte H said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Heather! Warm hugs from Denmark.

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss. I wish there were words that could heal during this awful time. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Paulina said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Heather.

Anonymous said...

((((HUGS))))
Stay inspired!

Em said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Heather.
Very touching post...

Anonymous said...

very sad so young ,all the best stu

John Mutford said...

Beautiful post and wonderful words of wisdom at the end. Sorry for your sorrow, happy for your fond memories.

Unknown said...

That is unbelievably sad, Heather. My heart goes out to you.
Mike

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

wow! what an amazing tribute! Sorry for your loss....

Nancy said...

Heather
i love that first picture of Alex. this of course made me cry. But always good to share trhe memories of the ones you love so you don't forget. love your sister Nancy

Jill said...

Oh, Heather, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. What a lovely eulogy.